20th -25th September Cycle Challenge 2022 - The Normandy Landing Beaches
Grade - Challenging
Duration – 6 days (4 days cycling)
Distance – Approximately 235 miles in the saddle
- Visit some of the regions most significant WW2
- Pegasus Bridge and Normandy landing beaches
- Picturesque French countryside
- Scenic roads through French towns and villages
What makes it challenging?
- Four days of continuous cycling start to finish
- Rolling hills and long days in the saddle
Day 1: Travel & meet the DA Crew
Either: Depart Jersey
Jersey to St Malo daytime ferry crossing. Transfer by coach to La Havre for overnight hotel accommodation.
Or: Depart Portsmouth
Portsmouth to Le Havre overnight ferry, accommodation in ferry cabins.
Day 2: Le Havre to Lisieux
We cycle to central Le Havre for our official start. Le Havre was a destination of strategic importance during both WW1 and WW2. We gather at St Marie cemetery for an official start to our ride and play tribute to the fallen soldiers. From here we set off for what will be a gentle introductory day, riding north of the Seine towards Rouen.
Cycle approx. 60 miles
Day 3: Lisieux to Caen
Stops today include German and Allied cemeteries and Mervillle Battery, which saw an epic airborne assault. We finally come to Pegasus Bridge, where the first house to be liberated from the Germans in June 1944 still stands. We then continue the flat run-in along the river to Caen.
Cycle approx. 45 miles
Day 4: Caen to Bayeux
A fantastic though poignant day today, as we ride between some of the D-Day Landing Beaches and stop to pay our respects at their memorials. Notable stops include Juno and Gold beaches, as well as Arromanches.
From Bayeux War Cemetery we ride on to our hotels. It will be a long day because there are many places to visit, but this breaks up the cycling into smaller chunks and should make for a less demanding day ahead of tomorrow’s more challenging distance.
Cycle approx. 50 miles
Day 5: Bayeux to Cherboug
Today centres on the role of the Americans, with our first stop Omaha Beach. We pay our respects at the cemetery here before continuing on along the coast towards Cherbourg. We stop at other battle sites and memorials including the village of Ste Mère Église, which played a large part in the D-Day landings and was liberated by the Americans.
The last section of our ride takes us northwest, over some short sharp hills to Cherbourg and the end of our challenge!
We mark our achievements with a celebration meal.
Cycle approx. 78 miles
Day 6: Return home
Either: Coach transfer to St Malo and ferry to Jersey
Or: Ferry from Cherbourg to Portsmouth
The registration fee is £149 payable on booking.
The fundraising target for those on fundraising is £2300
The self-funding option is they pay £149 registration on booking and then the tour cost of £1150
The Tour Cost Includes:
Ferry to/from Jersey (foot passenger)
• Coach transfer from/to Le Havre / Cherboug
• Hotel accommodation en-route (twin share)
• 1 st night in hotel Le Havre for Jersey pax or cabin on ferry for UK Pax
• Meals as detailed in itinerary
• Discover Adventure leaders and mechanics
• Discover Adventure Doctor
• Battlefield Guide • Lunches on cycle days (provided by crew, local restaurants or caterers dependent upon numbers)
• Celebration meal
• 1 Free rep place from 30 participants
• Full vehicle support
• Over-view maps, GPX files and route information
• Marked route
• 24 hour emergency UK back-up
• Pre-trip planning and office support
• Pre-trip zoom slideshow to participants
• Post-trip de-brief
The Tour Cost Does Not Include:
Bike transfer to & from Jersey but can be arranged at an additional charge
• Meals as detailed in itinerary
• Alcoholic drinks
• Bicycle, helmet and high-vis jacket
• Personal travel insurance (to cover personal injury, cancellation/curtailment, lost items etc)
• Entry fees into battlefield museums and sites
Call 01722 719036 to book